Debian installation made D: unreadable.

Hi. I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1 (from the Linux
System Labs CD-ROM) and now the D: drive is unreadable by
Windows 95...

I have a 2-gigabyte hard disk that has more than 1024 cylinders.
Since it was originally installed with a 486 motherboard with
a BIOS that couldn't handle more than 1024 cylinders, I installed
a patch from the disk's manufacturer. Today, this hard disk is
installed with a Pentium motherboard with a modern BIOS, but the
patch is still there.

The first quarter of the disk is C:.
The second quarter used to contain a FreeBSD system; it is in
an undefined state at this time.
The third quarter contains Debian.
The fourth quarter is D:.

In terms of DOS FDISK, the primary partition covers the
first quarter. The extended partition covers the last
_half_ of the disk, for "historical reasons"...

The end of Debian's quarter is the /usr filesystem.
I had to format it manually with mke2fs by specifying
explicitly the number of blocks. I used the number of
blocks that Linux's fdisk displayed for /usr.

The installation of Debian went well, but when I
rebooted, DOS/Windows 95 could not read D: anymore
(General failure reading drive D:).

I went into DOS FDISK. This is the partition table that it
displayed:

    Partition  Status   Type    Volume Label  Mbytes   System   Usage
     C: 1         A    PRI DOS   DISK1_VOL1     478   FAT16       25%
        2              Non-DOS                  478               25%
        3              EXT DOS                  937               49%

    Total disk space is 1914 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

    The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.

This is the Logical DOS Drive Information that FDISK displayed:

    Drv Volume Label  Mbytes  System  Usage
    D:                  478  UNKNOWN    51%

The UNKNOWN used to be FAT16. The volume label used to be
DISK1_VOL1. I haven't lost much in that drive, but it would be
less trouble if I could recover the contents.

Is it possible that if I could change that UNKNOWN back to
FAT16, D: would become readable again and its filesystem could
be intact? If yes, then how can I force this change?

If I reformat D: under DOS, could this corrupt Debian and/or
its /usr filesystem?

Can I use BIOS calls to try to read the tracks that correspond
to drive D: to try to recover a few files (if the filesystem
happens to be intact)? I suppose that would be Interrupt 13h,
service 02h.

--
Pierre Sarrazin <ps@cam.org> [Montreal]