Re: perl and ISO-8859-1

Þann 31-Oct-97 skrifar Pere Camps:
> Andy,
>
>       I only hace en_GB there, but in /usr/share/locale I have all the
> others. The thing is that -I think- I have installed all the needed
> packages for locale support, but perl is not getting it. Bash doesn't
> complain about LC_CTYPE. In fact, if I unset LC_CTYPE, I can't type
> latin-1 characters in it.

  It means your en_GB locale data is broken.  If you look under the
folder /usr/share/locale/en_GB you should see a file "LC_CTYPE", this
file should hold the information for iso-8859-1, normally.  If this
file is damaged, or holds a wrong version of locale data (i.e. the
locale data for libc5 wont work with libc6 and vice versa, because
they have different magic numbers in their header), it won't work.

>       I tried, but it didn't work.

  Try "iso-8859-1", or "ISO-8859-1".  These files should reside in
/usr/share/i18n/charmaps.