Re: perl and ISO-8859-1

Þann 31-Oct-97 skrifar Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de:

>> Try setting LC_CTYPE to es_ES too.  It worked for me with de_DE.
>>
>>         Torsten
>
> Or just LC_ALL="es_ES" (as I do it with de_DE). This sets all the LC_*
> variables.

  What LC_ALL variable will do, is *force* all variables to that setting,
this however is *not* always the desired result.  Let me give you an
example... if you're on a modern advanced workstation (Not Linux, but one
that has locales fully functional), then...

  LC_ALL = "is_IS"

  Will cause the result of 'date' command to be...

Lau, 1 Nóv 1997. 17:24:00 GMT

  Which *legedly* causes some scripts to malfunction, because they expect
a "C" style date.  The date is controlled by the LC_TIME variable, but
changing this one, won't matter, as the LC_ALL variable has precedence.  So,
you either have to have ALL variables the locale, or ALL to the "C" style.

  But, by undefining the LC_ALL variable and using the LANG variable
instead.  You can then select which category is what.  You can thus set
your LANG to...

  LANG = "is_IS"
  LC_TIME = "C"

  And then the fields LC_NUMERIC, LC_MESSAGES, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE and
LC_MONETARY will function as the locale specifies.  But the result of
the 'date' command...

Sat Nov  1 1997. 17:24:00 GMT

  ...the "C" locale as specified by the LC_TIME variable.  Thus, you have
a better control over you locale's settings.