Re: Trouble with resc1440.bin on new Ultra DMA IDE motherboard

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Gerald Turner wrote:

Hi Gerald,

> A friend of mine enrolled in some programming classes and just bought
> himself a new computer.  We were putting the system together last night
> and I ran into a serious problem while trying to install linux.  The
> debian boot disk (resc1440.bin from 1997-10-13 and 1997-08-01) died just
> after the kernel was loaded and booting, after about 10 kernel boot
> messages the system rebooted itself (too quick to read just what the
> last messages were, maybe PCI stuff).  The system is an AMD K6 200Mhz,
> Iwill P55XB2 motherboard, 64Mb, 4.3Gb IBM Ultra DMA IDE drive.  I
> thought that the new IDE might have trouble with linux while we were
> buying the hardware, but I never would have guessed that linux would
> blow up like that.  Has anybody seen this behavior with the debian
> disks,
> or linux before?  Has anyone tried the new Ultra DMA with linux?

I have an Ultra DMA drive (quantum fireball ST 6.4Gb), with a Asus PL297
Motherboard (PII 266, oc'd to 300) LX Chipset.

I havent seen this problem at all.  Although I don't use U-DMA drive for
linux (if the U-DMA was the your friend is having, I would have thought it
would caused me a problem as well when the drive is probed), it hasnt
caused me any problems at all (I booted from the LSL CD-Rom when I first
installed - and now use a custom kernel).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave