Re: basic install problems

At 23:57 30.10.1997 -0600, you wrote:
>Dirk,
>
>A few questions:
>
>1. After you modified your lilo.conf, did you re-run /sbin/lilo?

No, but I should have. Will try this.

>2. How is your drive partitioned?

1 Primary MSDOS         Win 95  app. 900MB
2 Primary Linux         root    app.  30MB
3 Primary Linux         swap    app.  50MB
4 Logical Linux         usr     app. 450MB
5 Logical Linux         home    app. 520MB
6 Logical Linux         var     app.  50MB

MSDOS was partitioned earlier. Linux was partitioned on the remaining free
space.

>3. What drive letter is your CD-ROM under Windows 95?

J:

>Under the Debian install, the ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM drivers are installed by default
>(at least on my disk from Linux System Labs).

Same 'official Debian 1.3.1' I installed from.

>My concern is that your drive is
>hooked up to your SB 16 card. I do not know what kind of interface is used for
>this card (ATAPI/IDE) or proprietary SB, but even if it is ATAPI/IDE, the
>interface is probably not recognized out of the box by GNU/Linux. I would
>suggest printing a system summary from Windows 95 (right-click on My Computer,
>select Properites, then something about devices.) It will show you a graphical
>list of devices in your computer. There will be a Print button. Press it and
>select summary. This will at least tell you how things are configured under
>Windows 95, which will then give you a hint on how to get them working under
>GNU/Linux.

The IRQ summary shows standard config of the system:

SB16 at 05, IDE controller at 10 (must be CDROM), IDE at 14.
At IRQ 09 is a CDROM controller, but it is disabled by the system.

Main problem remains how to get Linux recognize or configure it to these
settings.

>I have had *no* problems making GNU/Linux and Windows 95 co-exist on my
machine,
>however, I realize I am very lucky: Many people have terrible times getting
this
>to work. Let me know what you find out, and I will make any suggestions I can.

You are indeed lucky. Moreover I need my system for my general and other
work and had hoped Linux would enhance and improve the performance of my
machine. Now I get kind of stuck up and may have to stick to Win & co. :-(

Now during installation, is it necessary to specifically install the 'Block'
and other devices, like serial and parallel ports, or does the system
recognize these standard devices by itself??

Dirk.