wierd ld problem

here's my problem:

ld -o utils.o args.o doubleint.o finddisp.o flsbuf.o geometry.o getrect.o
hash.o heap.o list.o lookup.o lookupany.o lookupfull.o malloc.o match.o
path.o pathvisit.o port.o printstuff.o stack.o strdup.o dqueue.o
runstats.o saveimage.o set.o show.o touchtypes.o  -r -lm
ld: cannot open -lm: File format not recognized

what am I doing wrong? according to the man page, this is correct syntax
for ld..

Please help me out here...

I have libc5(-dev) 5.4.33-6, ldso 1.8.12-1, binutils 2.7.0.9-3

any clues?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris R. Martin         email: crmartin@tamu.edu
Computer Engineering    web: http://http.tamu.edu/~crm7479/
Texas A&M University    "... I'm a 21st century digital boy, I don't know
                         how to read but I've got a lot of toys."
                                      -- Bad Relgion