Re: Netatalk, changing passwords

> However I am now setting up a couple of servers for users who may never
> log in.  I notice that when I look in the chooser at my servers (under
> apple-share) the "change password" button is shaded out and unuseable.  Is
> it possible to fix this somehow?  Is this what PAM is supposed to help in?
> I'm really ignorant about what/how PAM is/works.

PAM is simply a standarized way in which  applications can get password
authentication, regardless of the method actually used (ie. normal
password, shadow password, radius etc).  It will not (to my knowledge)
help you with changing a users password.

Other options for changing your password include (I don't know about
enabling it in the chooser via netatalk):

Poppassd:  This works with Eudora's 'Change Password' option which may be
appropriate if the netatalk box is also the mail server.

WWWPass: A web CGI that interacts with poppassd to allow a user to change
their password.

Their Shell:  Set their shell to /usr/bin/passwd so that if they telnet
into the box they can change their passwd.

HTH,

Adam.