Re: modem problems

On Sun, Oct 26, 1997 at 11:04:55PM +1300, Andrew J Tarr wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> > Andrew J Tarr wrote:
> > >
> > > Struggling with my modem:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > Is your modem set for fixed serial speed (AT&B1 on a sportster 28.8)?
> >

> No, it wasn't. Yes, it fixed it, thanks a lot. I don't suppose anyone
> wants to explain why it needs fixed serial speed?

Well, if it isn't then your port speed needs to match the speed
your modem is connected at. There are a few problems with this,
such as

* 33600, 31200, 28800, 26400, 24000, 21600, and 16800 are not valid
  serial port rates; only 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200 are ..

* Your getty would have to work out what speed it is connected at
  for incoming calls. Modem connect strings are rarely straighforward
  these days, with Rockwells producing all sorts of information.

* There is no need, you can get better transfer rates with the port
  speed set well above the connect rate for the compression to take effect.

It is a rare modem which doesn't have this on by default. I wouldn't
even know how to turn it off on any of the modems I own.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.