RE: Strange disk problems - file dates out of wack

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Ted Harding wrote:

> Try (non-destructively) e2fsck -fnV on the device with these files
> and stand back ... (at any rate pipe it through "less"). I predict
> several thousand lines of possibly alarming information. Depending on what
> you see, you may judge that it's worth taking the chance to give fsck a free
> reign to try to make the filesystem clean (though it may zap some stuff in
> so doing); or else raw-backup (dd to another device) the bytes on the device
> and then either do fsck, or reformat the filesystem, or replace the hard
> drive.

I have done a e2fsck -fnv but it also did not reveal any problems (output
below). However, it did reveal the existence of 27 block device files that
I assume have no reason to be under /home. I'm at a loss - any other
suggestions? Thanks, Colin.

frisch:/# e2fsck -fnv /dev/hda6
e2fsck 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

   25948 inodes used (4%)
     902 non-contiguous inodes (3.5%)
         # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 2230/249/41
 1169173 blocks used (54%)
       0 bad blocks

   24468 regular files
    1128 directories
      19 character device files
      27 block device files
       3 fifos
      20 links
     292 symbolic links (292 fast symbolic links)
       2 sockets
--------
   25959 files

--
Colin Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
School of Policy Studies Building, Room 309, Queen's University