[OFFTOPIC] cpu idle time

I was recently installing linux on a poor 386sx, with 4M of memory.

I noticed that during a compile of a kernel, 2.0.30, which took 35 hours
to complete, vmstat showed a large idle time. I was swapping like mad, and
came to the conclusion that time spent in swap is accounted for in the
idle time?

AIX 3.2.5 has an additional field for the cpu percentages, called wait(ing
for io)

Is there any need to know this bit of info?

--
Walter L. Preuninger II                        waldo @ irc.wasteland.org:#unix
walterp@rapidramp.com                         http://www.rapidramp.com/~walterp

                  L  I  N  U  X  Where You Really Should Be!