Re: Games problems

    Darin> 1) Nethack has a problem with the
    Darin> /var/lib/games/nethack/perm(?) file, and claims there's no
    Darin> permission to write to it.  I changed
    Darin> /usr/lib/games/nethack/nethack to setuid, and it worked (it
    Darin> was setgid already).  I presume setuid was the wrong thing
    Darin> to do; what's the real scoop?

Being the Nethack maintainer, I know of this problem. :/

The problem is that /var/lib/games/nethack must be mode 2775, and
/var/lib/games/nethack/perm must be 664.

This has been fixed in the hamm version of the package, which also
includes such goodies as an X version of Nethack entry in your
window-manager's menus, and sound, color, and proper IBM-ish graphics
at the Linux console.

Try upgrading to nethack_3.2.2-9, and let me know if that solves your
problems. :)

--
Brought to you by the letters Q and T and the number 6.
"Step away from the car. This car is protected by Viper." -- TMBG