Re: cdwrite trouble: SENSE_ERROR

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I can't interpret that SCSI error, but you can write to cdwrite@pixar.com,
> and there are people on that list who can help. Could it be a data
> underrun? I would suggest burning CDs in single-user mode until you are
> sure about that. My Pentium 90 can burn CDs in multi-user, my 486 never
> could and had to go single-user to burn a CD.
>
> To avoid CD waste, test writing in "dummy" mode.

I burned some cd's tonight, but I also had a hard time with the writer
before I could effectively use it.

After typing
  cdwrite --dummy --verbose image.iso
I decided after 5 seconds that I wanted to add a parameter "--speed 2" to
the command line and pressed ^C.

I got the prompt back, no error from cdwrite, but the writer was locked
up. I could not even open the tray anymore (exept with brute force.)
cdwrite would only give errors and could not even determine the device
model anymore (a Philips cdd2600.)

Only after turning the computer off and on could I get it to work (and I
did not press ^C anymore :-\ )

Joost