problems w/ Lilo

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:
>   >	I'm trying to install Debian on a PPro and I having problems
>   >with Lilo.
>   >	I can use the boot floppy created at install step but if I
>   >compile a custom kernel, install it and run lilo, the boot process
>   >or hangs with "LIL-"
>
> >From /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt:
>
>    LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
>     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
>     installer.
>
> I don't know if this is sufficient information for you.  What have you
> got in /etc/lilo.conf?  How are you running lilo?

the lilo.conf has normal (almost default) options

boot=/dev/sda1 # checked w/ cfdisk
root=/dev/sda1
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=Linux

	Seems to me that I did some mistake, such as changing the map file
without running lilo. Now, I don't know how to correct this. I can boot
from my custom boot floppy created by lilo or from rescue.  Even if I
create a new boot floppy with 'dd if=kernel...' I can boot from it.

	I even tried to reinstall the kernel-image package, without
success. Also included the "linear" option in lilo.conf; nothing :-(

	How do I correct my disk map/geometry/whatever?

	Please, help.

Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21