More X setup fun!

I am having trouble getting X windows to run. I am *nix illiterate. The
documentation that I found did not help. My system is fairly simple - I
have a simple Trident Providia 9865 based board with 2 megs. After I
setup using generic VGA / VGA16 base / afterstep I run startx and the
screen goes blank. I then see a list where everyline starts with (  )
where some have a ** inside. I looked at .xsession-errors in my home dir
and found that afterstep couldn't find some file with a '.hook' suffix.
Is this why the window manager doesn't come up? Should the screen still
stay black?
My .xsession is simple - xterm blah blah blah &
                                     exec afterstep
I am just trying to get something to come up! The setup program looks
fine - can anyone help?!

Thanks