Re: new debian user questions

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Ted Harding wrote:

> >But perhaps it is just better (and more efficient) to write more and good
> >documentation, instead of more and bad code...
> >
> do even something simple correctly. This is why people call for software
> admin tools: you can hope that the tool has the knowledge. If it was well
> written in a document, and easy to find, then you wouldn't need the tool.

I think it's impossible to write a 100% admin tool for all cases -- a Zero
Administration Initiative for linux would meet with inevitable failure.
This is (as we always say) due to the power and configurability of things.

I think Debian goes a long way towards making the task manageable by
simply installing things in a compatible way and giving good basic setups.

I'd argue,  in the *nix fashion,  that a bunch of little,  specific,
WELL-DOCUMENTED admin tools is better -- one for net,  smail,  sendmail,
etc... A great example is the "tzconfig" script -- it's small,  does it's
work well,  and doesn't involve tremendous overhead or hours of work to
understand.  My five-year-old brother could run "tzconfig",  follow the
prompts,  and get it right.  Maybe what I'm really suggesting is that
each major component of the system needs a simple config utility;  that's
already the case with most of them (XF86Setup,  for example).  Now if
finding them wasn't so tough...

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu