Re: Fixing Bad Blocks

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Bob Clark wrote:

> You need to create a file containing the block numbers of
> the bad blocks.  The badblocks program should work.  Then
> run e2fsck -L on the *un-mounted* filesystem.  See the
> manpages for badblocks and e2fsck.  You may still need to
> re-make the filesystem on the affected partition.  I would
> repeat e2fsck -f -L badblock_filename device_name until a
> clean check is achieved and cross your fingers.

However, if you repeat this, and the filesystem keeps getting more and
more badblocks, the problem is getting worse (e.g. it's slowly crashing).

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Trovalds