Re: X-Windows and Bash Settings

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Jason Bauer wrote:

> I've got Debian Linux 1.3 using bash for a shell. When I go into X-Windows
> (Afterstep win. manager) I lose all of my aliases and other settings that
Do you mean these settings don't work if you (for example) start up an
xterm with bash in it?

> get run in my .bash-profile when I login
That's the problem.  .bash-profile is run *only* for login shells -- when
you start an xterm,  you're not logging in again,  so bash doesn't read
.bash-profile.  You've got a pair of bash settings files: .bashrc (run for
non-login shells,  like xterms) and .bash_profile (run only for login
shells).  This is so you can do things like set terminals up and check for
mail only when you login -- don't need to do this otherwise.

The simplest soluction is to put all the login-specific stuff in
.bash_profile,  and put all your aliases and other setups in .bashrc.
Then make the last line of .bash_profile be "source .bashrc" -- so that
stuff gets loaded even in login shells.

An alternative would be to start all bash shells as login shells by doing
"bash --login" every time you want to start a shell.  That works ok,  but
is kinda silly.

> and when i quit X the settings are
> back to how they should be.
That's because X is running in the bash shell that started when you
logged in -- when X exits,  you're back to that same shell process.

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu
			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/