Re: free software

Keith Beattie wrote:

> Severs? We don't need no stinkin' servers! Use multicast!

Nope. I need to use the 'off the shelf' Microsnot product.

> Seriously though, I'm not terribly familiar with all the functionality
> of netmeeting but at my first glance, it appeared to have taken quite
> a few hints from the MBone tools that Van Jacobson's group at LBL has
> been working on.  You may want to take a look at:
> http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/

I'm very familiar with the mbone suite. This indeed is very similar to
it, but for Microsoft platforms.

> We used their vic (video conference), vat (audio conference), wb
> (whiteboard), and sdr (session directory) quite extensively (when I
> was at LBL).  Sharing applications though, I'm not sure about.  wb can
> be used for static images and text but I haven't seen much enabling a
> group to collaborate on a spreadsheet or word processor document.  But
> one never knows...  I haven't been keeping up on the latest mbone
> developments.
>
> A good collection of pointers on all things MBone can also be found
> at: http://www-itg.lbl.gov/mbone/#reflinks

Yup. It's been in my bookmarks for quite some time.
> ps - I'd be curious to know what you do decide to go with, if you could
> drop me a note...

Will do.

Just to satisfy everyone's curiosity, this is for our emergency response
team here at BNL. If there is ever an 'incident', they have a command
bunker that is only accessable via deeply buried copper for phone. We are
convinceing them to give up 2 pair and we can put in ADSL. Right now
they are using it for a 2400 'leased' type line. They are only running
MS products, and will need to collaborate with parties at other points
in the Lab and the world. As typical with government thinking, they placed
this 'secure' bunker abotu 100 yds from one of the reactors that could
cause the abovementioned 'incident'. Me, I'd get upwind as soon as possible
:)

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
      "The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource,