several problems with a new installation (hey, I'm learning)

Hi,

I have a list of problems that I need help with:

1)  I still can not get the serial mouse to work.  Every time I configure it, th
e mouse flies around the screen very erratically.  I have messed around with man
y options for it and I still can not make it work!

2)  I can not get the sound to work!  If I execute "cat bong.au >/dev/audio" I g
et "zsh: no such device: /dev/audio" (I did the cat at root level, so it is not
a permissions conflict).  How do I check for the drivers for the audio board?  I
t is IBM MWave sound card.

3)  How do I check the number of bit planes being used by the xserver?  I seem t
o still run out of colors with a S3-Virge board with 2 Megs of RAM!  How do you
specify the resolution and number of bit planes to come up in with startx?

4)  Where can I look to find some good background pictures in xpm format?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Richard A. Guay
Network Administrator
ASIC International Inc.