Re: Mounting File systems and shells

"Curlen Middleton" wrote:
  >Can anyone tell me how to mount my MSDOS and NTFS partitions...

Assume your DOS partition is your first primary partition; create a
directory called /dosc (or /bill_gates_oses_suck/c if you prefer).  Then,
as root, type:
   mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /dosc

If you don't want anyone to write to the partition, add -r before `-t msdos'.

For a Win95 partition, use vfat instead of msdos (but you may have to
rebuild the kernel: I don't know if vfat support is built in to the
default kernel).

Use `umount /dosc' to unmount the partition.

If you want the partition mounted all the time, add this line to /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda1   /dosc   msdos   defaults   0    0

Look at the man page for mount to find the meaning of various options.

The first IDE disk (master) is /dev/hda and its primary partitions are
/dev/hda1 to /dev/hda4; the slave disk on the first controller is /dev/hdb
and so on.

  >     ...  And
  >also, what's a good msdos like shell and how do i set it up?

Something of an oxymoron, don't you think?

If you mean a shell that emulates DOS, I don't think there is one; why
would anyone create such a monster?  Any Unix shell has greater capabilities.

If you want to run DOS utilities on (unmounted) DOS disks, look at the
package mtools, which contains programs such as mformat, mdir, mcopy
and so on.  To access a DOS disk which you have mounted, use normal
Unix commands.

Isle of Wight                                  http://lfix.co.uk/oliver