Question about new 'g' packages in unstable

Hi.

I'm trying to install the new version of Scotty because I want tkined but
it requires tk8.0 which depends on one of the new 'g' packages which seem
to be appearing in unstable... in this case xlib6g.

Now I just tried to install these new xlib6g packages and hosed my system
because xlib6g conflicts with xlib6 and I couldn't remove xlib6 because
lots and lots depended on it (so stupidly I tried to do a --force on
xlib6g and then remove xlib6 which was not a happy thing because lots of
things depended on elf-x11r6lib which xlib6 provided but xlib6g doesn't).

In short... does anyone have a copy of tk8.0 before the xlib6g dependency
that they could mail me?

The slightly longer question is: 'What's the story with the new 'g'
packages and how do I safely swap over.

Thanks,

Adam.

PS. I've been off the list for a couple weeks as I moved... sorry if this
has been discussed... could replies be CC'd to me as I have only just
resubbed.