Re: Changing mouse drivers

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Richard A. Guay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just recently installed Debian 1.3.1 on a new system that has a PS/2
> mouse.  I now want to change to using a serial mouse.  What would be the
> steps (I do not want to reload the OS.)?

Reload the OS?  That's windows-world thinking.  First, if you installed
the gpm package, you'll need to run 'gpmconfig' as root, and tell gpm
about your mouse.

Then, assuming you have X, you'll have to re-run XF86Setup (stop X
first by quitting your session and, if you have xdm running, doing:
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
) Inside XF86Setup, say "yes" to use the old configuration and all you
should have to do is pick your new mouse parameters.  (be certain to read
through all of the dialog boxes that come up there, and test the new mouse
setting by "applying" the changes)

You shouldn't even need to reboot!