Re: man-db ocassionally needs to be re-installed.

adavis@netpci.com wrote:
> Monthly, or more often, since installing Bo 1.3 on new system, I have had to
> re-install man-db, after getting segmentation faults whenever executing man.
> I don't believe this is related to libc6, as has been reported.  It happens
> at almost random times.  Perhaps certain package upgrades have caused this?
> Or is it "bit rot"?
>
> I have found that when man seg faults, I only have to run
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/man-db.postinst, and everything as fine again.

Actually, you only have to run mandb (as root, I think), and it fixes the
problem.

You might want to refer to bug reports #10483, #11278, etc at
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lman-db.html - the maintainer is aware
of the problem, and I hope he figures out a fix soon.

--
see shy jo