Re: Please recommend a quality 4GB hard drive

On 11-Oct-97 Frank Sergeant wrote:
>     Do you mean they spin 24/7, that they do not power down
>after a period of inactivity?  I have been wondering whether
>letting the drives power down (as mine do at the moment) or
>having them not power down is better for their longevity.
>Also, whether running 24/7 or running just perhaps 14 hours
>a day is better.  Anyone have any opinions or data about
>this?

Well, it is a matter of electrical vs. mechanical longevity.

If you leave them spinning, they are warmer and might cause the life of some
components to be shorter but if you shut them off and let them cool down, the
lubricant cools and there is more friction at power up till the lubricant heats
up and starts working properly.

If I shut some of my drives down and allow them to cool completely to room
temperature, they make a terrible noise on power-up until they have completely
warmed up.  This is why the noisy drives go into the systems that run 24x7.  If
I hear them, I know there has been a power failure.