Printing is landscape

I've just installed my new NEC SuperScript 100C printer and configured
my Debian 1.3.1 system to print to it.

It was a bit of a hassle, since the apsfilter installation went insane
and started an ever-increasing number of zless processes, eventually
managing the difficult task of locking Linux up and forcing an unclean
boot.  (It was able to do this because it was running as root, having
forked from dselect.)  I'll report this via www.debian.org.

I successfully installed it on a second try (although it did
transiently have several dozen zless processes running).

Now everything works.  The SuperScript 100C is set up as a Deskjet
500, which it emulates.  Printing to raw works okay, but printing to
GhostScript via apsfilter produces really tiny type, in landscape.

I checked the GS docs, the apsfilter docs, the lpr docs (which don't
actually exist), the man pages, the printcap man page . . . there is
*no* ocurrence of the words "portrait" or "landscape" in those
documents.  This is really weird.

So:  how can I convince GhostScript to print portrait, and maybe in
larger type, from apsfilter?  Note that my video card (Trident
TGUI9680-based) is not supported by SVGALIB, which I understand
matters sometimes.

Thanks in advance.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net