xdm broken during package additions.

I recently added some packages and somewhere during the installation I
got a question something like:
"Should I kill XDM"
I said yes and after the installation my X setup was broken.

I think it added xbooks but I don't believe I added xbase again which
I would expect to change everything. It replaced many of the files X
uses for configuration.

Now when xdm starts, I can log in as any user but the characters are
quite unreadable.

The only way I can start x with the same desktop as I had before is by
issuing:

startx -- -bpp 16

as root. But of course, being root all the time is a bad thing, as they
say. if I try starting with
startx -- -bpp 8
I get the same unreadable characters as with xdm.

I'd like to be able to run xdm to start X but it seems that it starts
in some wrong mode. I believe when I originaly installed debian, it
asked me if I wanted to use xdm to start x and it recommended it. Is
there a script or some parameters I can pass to have xdm start X in the
same mode that startx -- -bpp 16 does?

Thanx in advance,

Ed