Re: How to create a crontab per user?

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Ken Lauffenburger wrote:

> I'm having trouble understanding how to create a crontab on a per-user
> basis.  I have tried the standard
>
>     crontab -e
>
> ... this allows me to think I am editing a personal crontab, but then
> when I save and quit, I get the following:
>
>     wrote /tmp/crontab.XXXXa28090, 2 lines, 3 chars
>     crontab: "/usr/bin/vi" exited with status 1

you say "save and quit".  my guess is you're typing :w to save and then :q
to quit.

the quit makes vi exit with a status code of 1.  'crontab -e' interprets
this as "abort".

try :x  - this saves and exits with a status of 0.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract