Re: .fvwm2rc question

joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl (joost witteveen) writes:

> > On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, G. Kapetanios wrote:
> >
> > >         Exec    "Stop It"       exec kill -9 $(ps aux | grep xlock | grep
> > > -v grep | awk '{print $2}')
> > >
> > > This works in the shell but not from the menu. Any ideas why ?
> >
> > Because fvwm2 doesn't start a shell .... the command you give above uses
> > the shell characters ( | $ etc., but there's no shell to interpret them.
>
> If that is true (and I don't know, really), then the answer
> would be:
>
>  Exec    "Stop It"       exec \
>   sh -c "kill -9 $(ps aux | grep xlock | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')"

Yes, the behaviour of the "exec" command changed sometime during the
development of the 2.0.xx series of fvwm2.  It used to always run a
"sh -c" before your command, but now it does the more efficient
straight exec of the first argument.  If you want the old semantics,
you need to explicitly go "sh -c".

Austin