user cron question

Hi,

I have cron installed and it works fine. However, I need to run a backup
script as a user since I mount a novell network acount with the same
username and save my data. So I tried to set up a cron job as a user.
I created a file called allow in /var/spool/cron which contained
only my username. I edited my crontab file using the command crontab -e
and I restarted the cron daemon just in case , but the thing didn't work.

I am wondering what I might hve done wrong

                        Any help will be appreciated

                           Thanks
                               George

George Kapetanios