RE- floppy=thinkpad mount/umount

Thank s Carey,

the magic word is  ----> append="floppy=thinkpad"
in lilo.conf

this works ONLY if I have in /etc/fstab
"/dev/fd0       /floppy         msdos   defaults"

If i do not insert a floppy during boot, it will error
out and eventually timeout the floppy, making the device
READ-ONLY on subsequent "mount -a" .

If I insert a floppy just after the boot so that when it
mounts the floppy it is there, it will mount it and make it
Read/write.
I can then :
        umount /dev/fd0
        mount -a
to replace floppies with RW privileges.

Could you tell me why the filesystem /dev/fd0 is made READ-ONLY
when it errors out on the boot process. It will allow me to
use "mount -a" and access the floppy but only (ro).

Is there an entry I can make in /etc/fstab ( or elsewhere )
so that the floppy may later be mounted as (RO) or (RW) ,
weather it is inserted during the boot process or NOT ?

thanks,
        frank naranjo