smail error

I keep receiving error messages from Cron about smail... here is what they
say:

---
/usr/lib/smail/checkerr: .newerrors: Permission denied
mv: .newerrors: No such file or directory
---

I beleive this has something to do with the permissions on the
/var/spool/smail/errors directory, but I'm not sure what the permissions
should be... currently it is drwxr-sr-x  root  root

Any ideas?

Thanks, Paul