Re: non-English Linux use

Santiago Vila Doncel <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> Another thing you can do is to make an ~/.inputrc file for bash/readline.
> Here is the mine:
>
> "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
> "\e[3~": delete-char
> "\e[4~": end-of-line
> set meta-flag on
> set convert-meta off
> set output-meta on
> set bell-style none
>
> [ First three lines make Home, End and Delete keys to work "as usual" ].
>
> BTW: It is very likely that bash/readline in the next Debian release
> will support /etc/inputrc as global configuration file (currently it does
> only look for ~/.inputrc in the user's home directory).

There is an environment variable INPUTRC which can be set to point to
/etc/inputrc.

> Moreover I have this in my /etc/profile:
>
> export LC_CTYPE=ISO-8859-1
>
> but I'm not sure whether it is still needed or not (some time ago, bash
> needed it, now I would have to check it).

It is not needed for the bash but still useful for other programs.
BTW, I found out that a setting to LC_CTYPE=de_DE works better for me
than the above setting if LANG is set to de_DE, otherwise I get a
message telling me:

        Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

        Torsten

--
"What a depressingly stupid machine"
                              The Restaurant at the End of the Universe