Re: AutoPPP/mgetty questions

Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:

> I have a machine that I want to act as a pppd server, and have all the
> pieces in place. Win95 can dial in and bring up the link without a
> problem. When I try using linux to dial into this machine, the link never
> goes up.
>
> I have tried various combinations of parameters in the /etc/ppp/options
> and /etc/mgetty/login.config files, and still no joy.
>
> I have enabled logging on both machines, kdebug 7 and debug, and see a
> message similar to this in the server log:
> pppd: peer refused to authenticate
>
> I never see any data on either machine that is similar to a
> userid/hostname.
>
> I know I have not provided much information such as the exact options, but
> If the server goes up for win95, things must be working, right? :)
>
> Can anyone give me a clue as to what options are needed in the client side
> /etc/ppp/options? Yes, I have read the fine howto.
>
> In particular, which of these do I need on the client side?
>         auth
>         +pap
>         login
>         name
>         (and any more?)
>
> If worse comes to worse, I will drop back to script based, but, again, If
> it works for microsoft, it should work for Linux also.

It does work for Linux also! The reason you get the message:

  pppd: peer refused to authenticate

is because your client machine is requiring the other end to auth. You
see, PPP supports two-way authentication. It doesn't matter who makes
the call, it just matters who requires authentication of the other.
Of the above options, you need *none*. What you need is:

       user <user>

Where what you put for <user> will be used to choose the password from
the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file. Now don't forget, you must *remove*
the auth option. This options means: "require the peer to authenticate"
and is not what you want.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com