libc6 header file scheme

Ok.  I'm trying to write a simple program which calls fork().

the fork() manpage lists it as
pid_t fork(void);
from <unistd.h>.

So I do this:

#include <unistd.h>

int main() {
pid_t p;
p = fork;
}

and gcc complains "pid_t" undeclared.  The only
/usr/include/*.h declaration I can find for "pid_t" is actually "__pid_t"
... and I've noticed this with A LOT of libc6 stuff.  "thing" is no longer
defined in header files;  it's now "__thing" ... why is this?  And why
aren't the manpages listing it as "__pid_t fork(void)" then?

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu
			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/