Re: Multiple PPP Configurations

>>>>> On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:22:21 -0500 (CDT), "Walter L. Preuninger II" <walterp@rapidramp.com> said:

Walter> Is there a way to have more than one pppd configuration? Getting another
Walter> modem is not an option.

Walter> What I would like is something along these lines:
Walter> 	pon work
Walter> 	poff
Walter> 	pon internet

Hello,

    another solution that works here fine is the following one: I copied the
    pon-script under a slightly different name to a bin directory and changed
    the name of the dialer script in the pppd line.
    It generates a complete chat script for each number and doesn't handle
    the dial strings to chat on the command line. Probably there are some
    trap commands missing.

       Hth -- Peter

#!/bin/sh
#
# arbi-dialer:
# Special script for linux called by pppd to connect to the local ISP
# at the university. So the options for pppd are something like
#        pppd  ... connect arbi-dialer
#
# There are 5 possible numbers to dial (stored in the string vector
# ChatDialStrings). We dial one after the other until we get a successfull
# connection. This process is retried $Retries times (default is 3 times).
# The chat script passed to the chat command is generated temporary for
# each phone number by this script.
# The script might be public readable, it contains no password/ login
# information, which is stored in the pap-secrets file.
#
#       Written by Peter.Weiss@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE, 9/ 97

ChatScript=/tmp/ppp.chatscript.$$
Chat=/usr/sbin/chat
Retries=3

# Basic chat initialization strings
ChatInitStrings="ABORT         BUSY
ABORT         \"NO CARRIER\"
ABORT         VOICE
ABORT	      \"NO DIALTONE\"
\"\"            ATZ
\"OK-+++\c-OK\" ATH0
\"OK\"          ATM0"

ChatDialStrings=([0]="\"OK\"          ATDT7983110"
                 [1]="\"OK\"          ATDT7983125"
                 [2]="\"OK\"          ATDT7982382"
                 [3]="\"OK\"          ATDT7982157"
                 [4]="\"OK\"          ATDT7982158")

# there are no login/ password phrases cause the rest is done using PAP and
# is done by pppd itself
ChatConnectString="CONNECT       \"\""

i=0
while [ $i -lt $Retries ]; do
    j=0
    while [ $j -lt 5 ]; do
        cat > $ChatScript <<EOF
$ChatInitStrings
${ChatDialStrings[$j]}
$ChatConnectString
EOF
        $Chat -v -f $ChatScript
        result=$?

        # Connection established??
        if [ $result -eq 0 ]; then
            break;
        fi

        j=`expr $j + 1`
    done

    if [ $result -eq 0 ]; then
        break;
    fi
    i=`expr $i + 1`
done

# clean up temporary file
rm $ChatScript
exit $result

Peter Weiss, Sonnenstraße 17, D-26123 Oldenburg, Tel:  0441/ 81058
http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de:/~weissp