Re: Monitor broke?

On 02-Oct-97 Will Lowe wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
>> Before you panic, check the cable.  If one the wires/pins has gone south
>> you can lose one of your color signals.
>
>I've checked these.  Actually,  my monitor was acting broke this morning,
>and after being on for about 3 hours,  fixed itself.  It used to do this
>on occaison when it woke up from power-down mode ... it would be funky
>purple for a minute and then revert to normal.  The connection to
>power-down mode was what made me suspect X.

I had (actually still have) an old monitor that started behaving like
this. Taking off the back of the case and testing for loose connections
(do this VERY VERY CAREFULLY -- there's some big electricity in there)
showed that the connector which attaches to the multi-pin at the rear
end of the tube wasn't making a perfect connection so that one of the
colour lines was internittently on/off. I never managed to get it to
connect perfectly.

Not that I'm recommending you do this -- for safety, and also because
you're under warranty and if that's the problem then it's the shop's
problem and not yours.

Best wishes,
Ted.                                    (Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk)
E-Mail: Ted Harding <efh@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>