Re: fstab question

On  1 Oct, Mike Schmitz wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 1997 at 12:11:53AM -0400, Shaleh wrote:
>> is there a way to specify an item without listing a fs type.  I have an
>> external parport device that I have both msdos and ext2 formatted disks
>> for.
>>

> I have separate lines in fstab corresponding to different directories.
>
> /dev/sda1       /mnt/lzip       ext2    noauto,user,umask=000   0       0
> /dev/sda4       /mnt/dzip       vfat    noauto,user,umask=000   0       0

You can get away with using the same mountpoint for both types of disk
by mounting with 'mount /mnt/zip'. the ext2-disk gets the permissions
of the mountpoint and the dos/vfat-disk gets the permissions by
the options umask, gid and uid

/dev/sda1  /zip  ext2  noauto,user,async  1  1
/dev/sda4  /zip  vfat  noauto,user,async,gid=35,umask=007  1  1

Besides that way there's the 'auto' thing:
>From 'man mount':
 -t vfstype
              The argument following the -t is used  to  indicate
              the  file system type.  The file system types which
              are   currently    supported    are    listed    in
              linux/fs/filesystems.c:  minix,  ext,  ext2, xiafs,
              hpfs, fat, msdos, umsdos, vfat, proc, nfs, iso9660,
              smb,  ncp,  affs, ufs, sysv, xenix, coherent.  Note
              that the last three are equivalent and  that  xenix
              and  coherent  will be removed at some point in the
              future -- use sysv instead.

       >>     The type iso9660 is the default.  If no  -t  option
       >>     is  given,  or  if  the auto type is specified, the
       >>     superblock  is  probed  for  the  filesystem   type
       >>     (minix, ext, ext2, xia, iso9660 are supported).  If
       >>     this probe fails and /proc/filesystems exists, then
       >>     all  of the filesystems listed there will be tried,
       >>     except for those that are  labeled  "nodev"  (e.g.,
       >>     proc and nfs).

       >>     Note  that  the  auto  type may be useful for user-
       >>     mounted floppies.   Warning:  the  probing  uses  a
       >>     heuristic  (the  presence  of appropriate `magic'),
       >>     and could recognize the wrong filesystem type.

              More than one type may be specified in a comma sep­
              arated  list.  The list of file system types can be
              prefixed with no to specify the file  system  types
              on  which  no action should be taken.  (This can be
              meaningful with the -a option.)

              For example, the command:
                     mount -a -t nomsdos,ext
              mounts all file systems except those of type  msdos
              and ext.

|                Linux: Turn on...Tune in...Fork out...                 |
|    Michael Tempsch, member of Ballistic Wizards, TIP#088, POG#130     |
| d1temp@dtek.chalmers.se | [d1temp@bigfoot.com] | [d1temp@hotmail.com] |
|  Cell.Phone:+46 705487554  URL:http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/%7Ed1temp  |