Printer resets eternally

The light on my Epson Stylus Color 600 fast-flickers, then pauses,
eternally, and /var/log/messages get's filled up with stuff like this:

Sep 29 20:26:42 Beleriand lpd[124]: restarting lp720
Sep 29 20:27:13 Beleriand last message repeated 2151 times
Sep 29 20:28:14 Beleriand last message repeated 4377 times
Sep 29 20:29:15 Beleriand last message repeated 4374 times
Sep 29 20:30:16 Beleriand last message repeated 4327 times
Sep 29 20:31:17 Beleriand last message repeated 4410 times

I believe this started after I tried printing a jpg for the first time
with magicfilter.  No combination of turning off/on printer, shutting down
system, killing lpd, and pausing to let printer die completely after shut
down seems to do anything to stop this.  lpq shows no entries.  Anyone
have any idea what is going on here?

__
I like six eggs when starting on a journey.  Fried - not poached.  And
mind you don't break 'em.  I won't eat a broken egg.
                                              -- Thorin Oakenshield