bypassing xdm?

I've configured my machine to boot into xdm. When confronted with the
xdm login screen, how can I get to a text virtual console?

I've had some success with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, followed shortly
aftewards by Alt-F?, but this doesn't always work, and the last time
I tried it I managed to hang the machine.

There must be a proper way to do this... only I can't find it.

Thanks,

Tim.
--
Tim Bell.         |  "When angry, count four; when very angry, swear."
bhat@cs.mu.oz.au  |                             -- Mark Twain