Re: Loading multiple GNU/Linux machines [not guarunteed]

A NOTE:
	I've never tried this.  Just my thoughts,  and I might not know
enough of what I'm saying,  so someone feel free to shoot me down if I'm
wrong.

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Nick Gilliam d-3712 7-5554 ng96753 gillidn
wrote:

> I am looking for methods to efficiently load many (up to
> 200) Debian GNU/Linux machines.  The machines are to
> be configured identically.  TCP/IP connectivity is available.

I might be oversimplifying, but if they're truly going to be the same (I'm
assuming that IP numbers,  etc. will have to be different at least) you
can try

1) Install/config ONE correctly.
2) Mount the other hard disks (1 at a time,  yuck) in the config'd machine
and just cp -A / /mountpoint.  Then when you install the disks in the new
machines,  you can just boot from a floppy, run lilo to set up the mbr
and fix the ip numbers/hostnames.

There are probably a million better ways to do this.  One might involve
mounting the drives on the 199 unconfig'd ones via nfs and doing the cp
that way,  but then you'd have to set up the IP stuff _before_ you can
install anything,  again probably via the rescue disk.  Of course,  if you
have a few assistants,  once you get one up,  you then get two,  then
four,  geometrically ....

Another option might be to simply configure one designate it as an nfs
server, and export its /usr, /home,  and other directories to the other
machines via nfs.  Then you could just copy verbatim the /etc directory to
the other 199,  again changing the hostname and ip stuff.  Makes
administration much simpler later --- all changes made on the server (in
terms of installed software,  etc.) are automagically exported to the
others.

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu