bogus packet size

Hi all,
today I found an old 386 locked up. After rebooting, I read this message in
/var/log/messages:

bogus packet size: 1 status=0x21 nxpg=0x40

This machine is on a local net, uses a ne2k clone (like many other machines on
that LAN), and no other machine signaled such error. What does that message
mean? LAN card going crazy? or what?

Thanks for your help.

PS: I don't know, nor mean, that there's a relation between lock up and net card
message. Kernel is a standard debian 2.0.6 kernel (used by at least another
machine on that net. No special hardware, just an old box doing printserving).