Re: No Debian updates?

> On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, joost witteveen wrote:
>
> > > Im using Debian Linux for about a year now. Is it true that there were
> > > no updates in the stable non-free contrib files for 3 (in words: three)
> > > months now? (I am using ftp.debian.org as ftp-server).
> >
> > Well, stable is called stable for one reason!
> >
> > But I think there have been updates, only as little as possible.
> > We don't go about adding packages/updates to stable just becase
> > a new version was released, we only do it to fix serious bugs.
>
> Who says that?

"Debian".

> Do people who don't want to fiddle around with libc6-stuff wait half a
> year for an upgrade?

They have to wait indefinately, as hamm is going to be libc6. So they
will have to install libc6 anyway.

> The ftp/dselect method was, why I changed to debian. Why don't you try to
> have something stable and actual?

We do:).
We actually planned/hoped to make a "stable" release of debian every three
months. (Long time ago, that was before we released "bo", that also was
some time late). And I don't think I'll be able to convince you we
are still on skedule with hamm eighter (more than 3 months have already
passed since bo's release, I think....).

The excuse we have this time is the libc6 change. This means _every_
package has to be rebuild, and possible modified somewhat, and this takes
time.

I'd say things are going well, though.

Notice, BTW, that, although Linux has been going though several libc
soname changes (the a.out libc4 only 1.5/2 year ago, then libc5, and now
libc6), there are people in-the-know (upstream maintainer of glibc
for example) that believe there will not be any libc soname changes
in the forseeable future. So, that may mean our next "stable" releases
are more timely. (Or, more likely, that we will think of some other excuse).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj