urgent: ppp server slow

Hi..
 I have an ppp server (whith "mgetty")....but it don't work fine.

After the user login,if he does:

     ping 192.168.1.1 (the server IP address)

the server reply the ping fine (if I ping the client, when the user is
login, the repply is fine as well).

The problem arose when the user try use one service as see the web page.
If he tries http://192.168.1.1 (to see the server web page), the
conexion is very very slow (but after an *long while*, the client
connect and the user can see the web page).

This problem arose as well whith ftp,mail,.... each time that the system
must do an connexion (go to an diferent URL,download a file....)

Please, can you help me?

Thanks an advance.