Re: Packages

> I just downloaded the floppy images but now I can't download the
> Packages.
>
> I have the instructions from the web site.
>
> I'm downloading from ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/stable/Packages
>
> It says there is no such directory.
>
> Is there some other way to find out which Packages to download to give
> functionality to the OS?

Mark,

you first have to install the base system from those (seven?) floppies
you downloaded. Set up ypur dial up (i.e. configure ppp) if you don't
have a permanent net connection. After that, you can (just as an option)
start dselect, choose ftp method and point it do ftp.debian.org,
select packages you want to download and install and let this fine program
do the work by downloading and installing them.

Another way is to go to debian web site (http://www.debian.org), choose
"Packages" link and examine all the available ones with possibility to
download them right on the spot. You would have to install them with
the command "dpkg -i *.deb" as a root.

Good luck.

Alex Y.