Re: Basic Debian hd mounting...

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Lawrence wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> >
> > On 25 Sep 1997, Carey Evans wrote:
> >
> > > Lawrence <ychim@ForeverMail.com> writes:
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > What kind of setup does this?  From my machine at work:
> > >
> > > /dev/hda4       /mnt/win95      vfat    noexec                  0   0
> > >
> > > % ls -l /mnt/win95/autoexec.bat
> > > -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          269 Sep 12 10:26 /mnt/win95/autoexec.bat
> > >
> > I believe that this is a matter of the mounted file system taking on the
> > permissions of the mount point. Unmount the partition and check the
> > permissions on the mount point. Changing them to something appropriate
> > should fix the problem.
>
> It is not the permissions of the mount point designing the permissions
> of the partition being mounted.

You are correct. I probably should have tried it before I spoke.

> You have to provide the permissions when you mount the partition.  In
> /etc/fstab, use umask/mask to do it.

I assume that this goes into the options collumn in fstab? I just tried to
add umask/660 for my dos partition (I understand that FAT and VFAT are
different, so this may be why it doesn't work) and the permissions are
still the same as before (-rwxr-xr-x). I don't have a VFAT partition to
experiment with...

Thanks,

Dwarf