Re: Multiple network cards. ARGH!

Mike Patterson <mike@col.hp.com> wrote:

> Ok, let's see if I can describe my problem in a little more detail.
>
> I have a debian 1.3.1 system with two ethernet cards on it. Booting up
> into DOS, the two cards are:
>
> 1) IRQ 9, IO 300, BNC
> 2) IRQ 5, IO 320, 10bT
>
> They are both NE2000 cards.
>
> Trying to define these using ifconfig I get errors like:
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>
> I'm really getting lost and confused-- I have NE network cards compiled into
> the kernel (not in a module). I have append = "ether=0,0,eth1" in the
> /etc/lilo.conf, like in the multiple ethernet mini-howto.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A quick solution might be that you write 300 instead of 0x300

I have a working router with 4 ethernet cards, 3 3c509's and 1 noname NE2000
and a working firewall with 2 3c509's.

On the router my append line looks like this:

append="ether=10,0x320,eth0 ether=12,0x220,eth1 ether=5,0x210,eth2 ether=11,0x230,eth3"

and on the firewall it is:

append="ether=5,0x310,eth1"

So I think you should try the one of following lines:

append="ether=5,0x320,eth0 ether=9,0x300,eth1"
append="ether=9,0x300,eth0 ether=5,0x320,eth1"
append="ether=9,0x300,eth1"

With the last line Linux will autoprobe for eth0 and use the given
information for eth1.

On the router I would like to have the interfaces numbered from eth0 to eth3
in the same way they are placed in the slots. So I reordered the append line
accordingly, but then Linux found no cards at all! I was too lazy to split the
machine again and reorder the cards manually.

Since you "only" have two cards one (or any) of the above append lines should
work.

Remember to run lilo after changing lilo.conf. I myself sometimes forget.

You didn't tell us if Linux actually found your cards.
Try this:

# dmesg|grep ^eth
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x320, using IRQ 10.
eth1: 3c509 at 0x220 tag 1, BNC port, address  00 20 af 59 c8 1b, IRQ 12.
eth2: 3c509 at 0x210 tag 2, BNC port, address  00 20 af 59 cc af, IRQ 5.
eth3: 3c509 at 0x230 tag 3, BNC port, address  00 a0 24 b7 0e 77, IRQ 11.

or try to boot with one card at at time and look at
"dmesg" and "cat /proc/ioports".

I hope you can get it working with this information.

Peter