alien: is it used to install or convert rpms?

Hello.

I was reading about running software on clusters of machines. There's
(at least) two different ways: PVM and MPI.

Neither of them seems to be available as a debian package, but I have
found a rpm package of MPI.

Now my questions. Is alien supposed to install rpms, or to convert
them to debs, which can be installed? If it's converting them to debs,
or not and I have to repackage them, is there interest for a MPI
package?

Right,

							MartinS