Re: X connections refused between hosts (foo/unix:0 syntax)

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> David Wright wrote:
> >
> > I've obviously missed something in the explanations of .Xauthority files
> > and MIT cookies. I have two Debian 1.3 machines, foo and bar with
> > essentially identical configurations, with few changes from how things
> > install themselves. I start X as user myself on foo. Typing xauth list
> > says foo/unix:0  MIT...1  a0b1... and so does xauth list :0 and xauth list
> > unix:0 and xauth foo/unix:0 but not xauth foo:0 which says nothing.
  [...]
> > Now I telnet to bar and login as myself, ftp back to foo and copy
> > .Xauthority to bar. On bar, xauth list and xauth list foo/unix:0 both say
> > foo/unix:0  MIT...1  a0b1... but the other forms say nothing.
>
> What's the timestamp on ~/.Xauthority? I didn't know that startx
> created auth files. Authorization in the server is controled by
> passing the -auth <file> param to the X server.

Looking at ps output, I could see the -auth option to xinit, so I looked at
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx and the problem is the last three lines. Yes, startx
does create xauth files, but only with a unix entry. I can't find a way to
coerce $display into making a TCP entry instead so I've modified startx
to do this:

serverargs="$serverargs -auth $HOME/.Xauthority"
mcookie=`mcookie`
xauth add $display . $mcookie
xauth add `hostname`.`dnsdomainname`$display . $mcookie
xinit $clientargs -- $serverargs

I don't think I should have to modify anything in /usr, even though
startx says ironically:

#
# Site administrators are STRONGLY urged to write nicer versions.
#

Who'd think of reading the files in a bin/ directory? I think I'll file a
bug report against xbase.

> #!/bin/bash

Thanks for the script.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151