Re: Setting up X

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Farhad Manjoo wrote:

> 	I know that it's a ps/2 mouse and that there's something called gpm also
> running. I don't know what this is. gpm says that my mouse is on

Hmm,  I don't know if you can run gpm and X at the same time.  Gpm is a
mouse driver for text terminals.  I don't use it,  so I can't help you
here.

> /dev/ttyS0. Is this correct?
I doubt it.  That's a serial port,  and a ps/2 mouse goes into the
system bus. My ps/2 mouse is on /dev/psaux ... that's likely where yours
is.  Edit /etc/X11/XF86CONFIG and change the mouse settings to /dev/psaux
and the psaux driver ... here's the relevant section of mine.

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/psaux"
    Emulate3Buttons
    Emulate3Timeout    50
EndSection

If this doesn't work,  watch the kernel messages on the screen for things
like

"PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed."

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu
			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/