Re[2]: HELP: problems compiling wine

After my post about my wine experience, Brian commented:

>Subject: Re: HELP: problems compiling wine
>Author:  bcwhite@verisim.com at RF
>Date:    18.09.97 10:54

>> I tried it with MS-Word 6.0c, MS-Excel and Matlab
>> 4.2c (all 16bit applications) and they run to my satisfaction.
>> I have not tested them thorougly but I am quite impressed already.
>
>You got Word-6 to run under it?  Wow!  I never been able to get it to
>run ever under the 9708xx versions.
>Excel runs pretty well, though it does crash occasionally.
>Brian
>( bcwhite@verisim.com )
>Generated by Signify v1.02.  For this and more, visit
http://www.verisim.com/

Yes. Word 6.0c runs with wine version 970824.  However in a post to the
newsgroup somebody reported that in the last wine realease (of 970914?)
MS-Word 6.0c is broken.

I am running Debian 1.3.1 (as of end of August 29 + a few upgrades from
bo-updates), on my old good i486/33MHz with 16 MB RAM and 16 MB swap
partition. The load is about 1 when running Wine + Word and Matlab and
appbar (a task bar a la NextStep for MS-Win 3.11). I got some messages
which I could not dechipher yet.

Wine is slow to load but I don't perceive it a slow when writing documents.
I haven't tested raw speed of other programs like for example Matlab 4.2c
but graphics on the last were fast enough for me.

The color/font configuration needs probably to be tuned. I haven't
read the documentation yet. (I am in "moving" period so I have no much
time right now).

As it had happened with Debian GNU/Linux, _it_would _really_boost_
_wine_development if many people in this list give it a try ...
AND report bugs. Well...that's just my humble opinion.

Thanks,

Lazaro